Skip to main content

Let's do it.....first full week of radiation! Tuesday........PROGNOSIS.......NOT PROGNOSIS!


Monday 15th January
So limited sleep but still woke up OK….could have had a few more hours to be honest!
This morning Fleur popped around with DD and Lennon so we did our pamper session together. It was so nice to see all the kiddies sitting around with our scented candles and meditation music and stretching and breathing…they are divine!
We used all our oils and treatments and were ready to start the day.



Rach arrived, and it was time to go to radiation. We got there early so had a chance for a gas bag which is always nice.
Then I had the treatment and it was over before you knew it.
So fortunate to have so many people willing to help and wanting to help…I’m blessed!

We then had a quick lunch and then it was sleepy times for me. It was exactly what I needed. I slept from 1:30- 4:30pm and woke up better for it.

The girls had a great time with their cousin DD, dancing, drawing, making film clips to music.

Later that evening Fleur was over with the most insanely delicious soba noodle salad with marinated salmon……crazy yummmm…I should have taken a photo but devoured it too quickly 😊

I go to bed feeling blessed, grateful and content. I’m happy, I feel good I have a lot to live for xx


Tuesday 16th Jan - PROGNOSIS.....NOT PROGNOSIS

Early start today. My appointment is at 8:15am followed by my first follow up Radiology appointment with Dr Ian Porter.
Katie was my driver today. So grateful for all my helpers 😊
The actual radiation treatment was done in no time and I’m in a better head space to deal with it.

We then went to meet with Dr Ian Porter and discussed how I’m dealing with the treatment, the medications and just generally.
We spoke about my lack of sleep and he suggested I take half the amount of steroid at lunch to help me sleep at night. He said we should try this and see how I go with managing the pain.

Then because I was on was on my own (without Kane, Katie was there) I wanted to ask some questions I really want to know (that Kane doesn’t want to know). I just want to know am I kidding myself?? How serious is this situation? I know I have Stage IV lung cancer that has mastasised to my lymph nodes, chest bones, pelvis, ribs, liver, and now brain, but am I going to make it?? I wanted to know how long I have.
Dr Ian Porter confirmed this is what I really wanted to know, to which I replied “Yes”. I just want to know I’m making the best possible use of my time and not kidding myself.
He spoke to me in terms of likelihoods and usually, but he didn’t give me a prognosis. He said that people respond differently and it really depends on how you, the individual, responds to everything.

I’m not a fan of his likelihoods and flat out choose not to believe it! I’m defiant and strong and will not accept the usual’s. He also said a lot of people in my situation are bed ridden, so I’m already starting from a better place.
Not going to lie this information was hard, very hard to hear but I choose not to accept it! I won’t!  I’m not the usual statistic, I’m strong in mind and body and will be the exception! I have to. I have too much to live for, I have too much to do. I need to raise my girls, they need me, I need them. There is no other option!! He suggested I speak with the counsellor to help me, but at the moment I don’t think I need it.

Whether its false hope or not I’m not going to let this get me. I’m realistic about what the meds and treatment will do to me and how I’m going to look and feel, but I refuse to give in. I’m here and I plan on being here for a while.
I walked out feeling different because now I had asked the question and I heard the answer, but I tried to move it out of my mind.

Today I’m spending quality time with Tahlia….it’s our mummy daughter day!! It was perfect timing….I think we both needed the one on one time. She is such a sweetheart. She is compassionate, thoughtful, mindful and just a good kid. She was happy just to be with me.
We just walked around Mentone, went to lunch at Huff Bagelry and then got spa pedicures. It was the perfect day, she could ask me all the questions she wanted to know and we just chatted about random stuff too.

Had the most amazing time with this doll, who I know is going to accomplish great things…….most importantly though I just want her to be happy 😊
When Kane got home from work we needed to chat. He wanted to know how my appointment with Dr Ian Porter went. I told him the questions that I asked and asked him if he wanted to know what he said. He said he did. So as sensitively as I could I relayed the discussion I had. Kane was just as defiant as me and chooses not to believe or accept likelihoods or usual’s because we both believe I will be the exception. We spoke about how we move forward hearing this information and we both agreed that we just live life, the best way we know how. We can’t live to an imaginary timeframe, we need to live for now and make most of the now. So that’s what we are going to do. Live our best possible lives, understanding that things are going to get tough, really tough and we’ll deal with those days as they come. And in the meantime, we make the most of the good days and spend them with the ones we love, doing the things we love and maybe knock off some bucket list items along the way too. Kane has been my greatest supporter, he is strong, sensitive, emotional but tough too. He knows together we have the best chance at fighting this and that’s what we plan to do with some fun along the way.

That night being Tahlia’s special Mummy/Daughter day, it was her turn to have a sleepover with Mummy, we started to watch a horror movie, before it all got a little to scary! We fell asleep cuddling…….bliss!






Wednesday 17th Jan

Super early start today……7:15am radiation appointment!! Kano is my driver today! Treatment was fine and I’m good now. I just want to do this! He’s soooo supportive….he’s got my back!

It’s Kiara’s turn today!! She has been so looking forward to some special Mummy/Daughter one on one time. She is my little lady, so her day was a pamper day.

It started with her picking her fancy outfit, that was perfectly co-ordinated with her pink Long champ bag! Then we were off to Lush, were they pampered her. She had her face cleansed, toned and they applied a rose mask, then they gave her a special glitter massage on her arms and legs…..very special. She felt very spoilt and lapped it all up. Then we were supposed to go and get a spa pedi, but she decided against it, and opted for a new Lego set instead. Lego is Kiara’s favourite thing in the world, makes her so happy…..my little engineer!

We had a yummy lunch and then it was time for home. Just like Tahlia had a sleepover last night, tonight was Kiara’s turn.

We snuggled in bed and chatted for hours, before we both dozed off to sleep.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A week a go today!

So I've been meaning to write a blog for sometime now, but recent incidents have pushed me into action. This blog will be about the good and hard times of living with Stage IV lung cancer. It's not a downer but it's real.  I'm hoping to live as full a life as I can, and treat this disease as something I can manage and live my best possible life. I hope to share tales of the fun I have with my family as well as some of the struggles we face too. I've called it "Makeup and meds" because what you see is all an illusion. What you see on the outside may not be what's really going on deep within. Hope you follow me on this rollercoaster ride!!!! Fortunately for me I live in the best country in the world and have access to amazing medical treatment and medication that keeps me going, and fortunately for me I've always loved makeup and dressing up....so everyday I put on my face and start! I may look better than what's going on beneath but some

Guest Blogger; Kano; Magical memories amongst hard days

The 11th May was my last update after we had secured access to Osimertinib (Tagrisso) with the assistance of Professor Ben Solomon from Peter Mac.   On the 14th May, we met Assoc Professor Gary Richardson, who indicated that without a significant response to Tagrisso, Cassy would have ~1 month to live.  Telling our children that prognosis was the hardest thing we have ever done, it shocked and shattered them, they cried uncontrollably. It was just terrible, you actually hurt in your chest. We just held them. Cassy, as always, remained defiant and was so strong.  16th May we did an early birthday celebration for Kiara and went to LEGO Discovery Centre at Chadstone. We had an amazing time, topping out with Kiara getting the ‘Disney’ Castle as her 7th Birthday gift. She was so excited!!! We had Mexican at Fonda... to which Harper created her Parody “lightning and the Fonda” which we’ve been hearing ever since!  We remained hopeful and Cassy commenced the Tagrisso, howev

quick one .......update on biopsy......treatment going forward

Friday 15th March Yesterday I met with my oncologist for my second round of Chemotherapy and to get the results from my recent lung biopsy. The news was not what we were hoping......I am not positive for T790M and I have less pld -1 than originally thought. This means I am not a candidate for Tagrisso (which we were hoping for) and we have to see if  immunotherapy will still be as effective in the brain. What does this mean for me? - It means that I will continue with Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy as the best option for me. - I'll get an MRI on my whole body (including brain) in about 3 weeks (to see if its working in the brain since radiation and immunotherapy - I'm basically starting all over again....(12 weeks from now) - more pain from chemotherapy in cancer areas.  - May look at other EFGR treatments (should this not be effective) Have to say the information was tough to hear because I was preparing myself for coming out of this and starting to feel better, n